Sports mouth guards are often overlooked, however a sports mouthpiece is extremely important as they can prevent concussions and prevent dental injury. You play any type of sports you should look into purchasing and using a sports mouth guard.
The following are a list of sports for where sports mouth guards should be used:
- Mixed martial arts including boxing
This list is of course by no means comprehensive. If you feel although you should wear a sports mouth guard while training or competing in a certain sport, then by all means do so. High impact sports such as boxing require the athlete to wear a sports mouth guard even when sparring.
How To Chose A Sports Mouth Guard
When choosing a sports mouthguard make sure that the mouth guard is comfortable in your mouth. The mouthguard should extend all the way to the back of your teeth and protect the top and bottom of your teeth.
Depending on which type of sport you are playing, you may choose a thinner or a thicker mouthguard. For high impact sports such as boxing, a thick mouthguard (4mm+) should be used. Football players should look for a sports mouth guard that is about 4mm in thickness. And athletes who participate in sports that do not involve a high amount of physical contact can get good protection from a mouth guard that is about 2mm or so in thickness.
Sports Mouth Guards We Recommend
The Shock Doctor Power Gel DNA Adult Convertible Mouthguard is a great sports mouth guard for any sport. It features:
- Tough protective outside, soft comfortable inside.
- Dual density semi-rigid exoskeletal frame, rear molar cushions and solid outer shell with wall extensions help reduce jaw injuries caused by front and side impacts.
- Soft gel fit material molds to teeth for a tight comfortable fit.
- Convertible quick release tether allows mouth guard to be strapped or strapless.